One of the last times I was at my in-laws, my mother in law made a beautifully round peanut soup, filled with flavor to the rim. It was a gorgeous soup where every dimension can be tasted. Allas I forgot to ask her for the recipe, so after searching for one, I found it in an old recipe book from Indonesia.
Preparation time: 10 min
Cooking time: 30 min – 1 hour
Output: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 teaspoons sambal sauce to taste
- 2 cm fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 3 chicken bouillon tablets or 1 liter fresh chicken broth
- 1 bag of soup vegetables if wanted (250 g)
- 1 stalk lemon grass
- 6 tablespoons peanut butter with nuts
- 3 tablespoons sweet soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons ground coriander (coriander)
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 can of coconut cream
Heat the oil in a stockpot. Saute the onion, garlic, chilli and ginger 2 minutes. Extinguishing with the broth, add 1 liter water if with tablets. Bruise the lemon grass with a knife (the flavors come out better) and add them to the broth and add the vegetables. Leave the broth over low heat for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the peanut butter, the sweet soy sauce and coriander in a bowl. Dilute with a few spoonfuls of broth until the mixture has the thickness of sauce. Stir in the peanut sauce through the stock. Season to taste with lemon juice and possibly some sweet soy sauce let simmer for another 15 to 30 minutes. Remove the lemon grass before serving.
Tip– Garnish with some tauge and red pepper.